The Immigrants' Daughter: A Private Battle to Earn the Right to Self-actualization The scene is set in Cairo in the 1940's. She is a member of a tightly knit Armenian family living in an expatriate community of genocide survivors, or escapees, like her parents, from Turkey, during and after World War I. Peaceful life, jo
| TITLE | : | The Immigrants' Daughter: A Private Battle to Earn the Right to Self-actualization |
| AUTHOR | : | |
| RATING | : | 4.55 (738 Votes) |
| ASIN | : | 159113773X |
| FORMAT TYPE | : | Paperback |
| NUMBER of PAGES | : | 296 Pages |
| PUBLISH DATE | : | 2005-08-31 |
| GENRE | : |
In her award-winning book the author captures the universal immigrant experience through her personal memories. The scene is set in Cairo in the 1940's. She is a member of a tightly knit Armenian family living in an expatriate community of genocide survivors, or escapees, like her parents, from Turkey, during and after World War I. Peaceful life, joy with younger brother's arrival and happy celebrations with the clan are rocked by World War II, trauma in the family and older brother's departure behind the Iron Curtain. The usual inter generational tensions defending tradition against emancipation are constantly present, especially with regard to the inferior status of women. It is also a turbulent period in Egypt's political history, transitioning from kingdom to republic. The Immigrants' Daughter, interspersed with wit, is a triumph over destiny, a leap from passive acce
EDITORIAL :
" a unique way of using tongue in cheek humor to lighten the impact of hopelessness a talented writer" Midwest Book "shifting cultural contexts within which a young woman must finally create, herself compelling memoir " Story Circle Book Review
REVIEW :
But at the same time, Pollack's own story could be counterproductive. I loved this book! Lately I've been having a problem getting through even my favorite authors books, but I read "Fallen" in one sitting. Modernity and its anxieties
10. Wright and for everyone, is they will increasingly discover that the fact their self is equal to other has always been true. The first other woman is his mistress, whom he is fooling around with while she is naked and saying hello to his manly bits. But I kept reading, and it became more and more obvious that Pollack's pursuit of physics was at least partly motivated by a desire to attain men.
"Could anything be more exciting than carrying a pristine notebook embossed with 'Lux et veritas' to a lecture hall where I would finally begins the life I had been waiting eighteen years to start? My status as one of only two women in the auditori


No comments:
Post a Comment